Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cold Weather - Football and COPD

As with most people here in Indiana - I'm ready for SPRING! Since I'm in South West Indiana we don't normally get too awfully cold, but it has been bitter cold this week. Possible ice or freezing rain over night - but it too will pass and it is supposed to warm up after this, warm being over 30 degrees. I'm more of a 70-80 degree person since I have COPD and emphysema along with arthritis - as a former smoker I just have to say that quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done. I actually had one doctor tell me he felt that nicotine was more addictive than cocaine.... so I guess I have defeated something evil. There have been many days that I still want a cigarette, but all I have to do is try to exercise and that thought goes out the window. The thing with all the problems with smoking is.... I did enjoy it. What they do NOT tell you is that yes, if you quit your lungs can recover - IF and that is a BIG IF - you don't get COPD or emphysema. They can not be reversed. You are just screwed. So, I wish there was a way to explain it to people - it sucks, no two ways about it. Now I can't catch my breath - it doesn't feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest - it just feels like I can't get any oxygen in my lungs...... I can't. Spring will be here soon and hopefully it will be decent weather and I will be able to get outside and actually do some gardening or mow the lawn. Hopefully we won't have the heat indices we had last summer. I plan to use my treadmill as soon as they get it set up for me - and take my glyco pills and with any luck, I will make myself get better..... I have 2 football games left in the year - the pro bowl this Saturday and the Super Bowl in another week! Go Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment